Potato Pancake Recipe
With Sweet Or Savoury Toppings
This potato pancake recipe holds its origins in Germany. Once a week the smell of freshly fried Kartoffelpuffer (as they are called in my grandmas house), flooded the house. Everyone queued up to join in the contest to see how many could be eaten.
Our favourite toppings included deliciously sweet apple sauce, mixed fruit kompot, plum sauce or simply sugar and sometimes with some cinnamon added to the sugar.
Of course there are more names such as Reibekuchen and Reiberdatschi. These name differences strongly reflect the region in which the potato pancakes are served. Wikipedia offers a more in-depth reading on this topic.
Potato pancake recipe
Serves 3-4 (makes about 16 pancakes - depending on serving size)
- 6 medium sized potatoes shredded or grated (when grated fine the batter will be more even) about 750g
- 1 big onion finely diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 11/2 teaspoons of salt
- Oil (olive, rice bran, palm etc.)
Step by step cooking instructions:
- Peel and shred or grate the potatoes. The finer the potatoes are grated the more consistent the batter becomes. The extra water that is created when the potatoes are grated finer should be strained.
- Finely dice the onion and stir under.
- Break the two eggs into a separate bowl and beat them lightly before pouring the lot over the grated potatoes.
- Gradually dust the mixture of dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt) over the grated potato and egg mix while stirring.
- Grease the pan lightly with oil in between baking batches. Frying at a lower heat prevents the potato pancakes from burning. Therefore keep the pan at a low but steady heat and spoon the batter into two or three (whatever works best for you) heaps and smooth the batter with a spoon. Turn them over once with a spatula. When done pile them on a plate.
Reduce the heat if you feel like the pancakes are burning.
They taste best freshly baked and warm. Come back to give feedback about the potato pancake recipe.
Serving suggestion for the potato pancakes
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
The potato pancakes taste best fresh of the pan with:
- Sugar with cinnamon
- Apple sauce
- Plum sauce
These are the toppings popular in our family. Thinking about potatoes and that they are usually served as side dishes to savoury meals I'm sure that there are plenty of other serving ideas. Here are some soup recipes that go well with the potato pancakes:
New soup recipes:
Skip to more ...