Sweet Apple Sauce Recipe
Dessert - Filling - Topping
Versatility is the theme of this apple sauce recipe. The recipe comes in handy during the apple harvest season to preserve or freeze apples for later use.
Apple sauce is a delicious dessert. Serve it plain, with vanilla ice cream or custard. A mild natural yogurt is one of my favorite combinations.
Cooked apples as a traditional filling for pies and pastries are often combined with cream cheese or nuts such as almonds, or walnuts, or some raisins are added. Popular examples are an apple pie, apple turnover or apple strudel.
Apple mash is also great to pair up with potato pancakes.
Do you have a great use of apple sauce? Leave a comment at the bottom of the page or drop us a note.
Please know we love feedback so either drop "Easy Healthy Recipes For Kids" a line via the Contact Us page.
Comment or review here your experiences and successes with the recipe. Or even share your favorite recipe.
Delicious Apple Sauce Recipe
Apple sauce recipe makes a delicious dessert topped with meringue, freshly whipped creme, or vanilla sauce. With the homemade apple pie, the sauce becomes a filling and a side dish for potato-fritters. The sauce is easy to prepare and versatile to serve.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1kg of apples, peeled, quartered
- Spices: cinnamon, clove
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 3 tbsp of water
- ½ a lemon, juice
Step by step:
- Wash, quarter, core and peel the one kilo gram of apples and collect them in a saucepan.
- Pour three tablespoons of water into the saucepan.
- Add the tablespoon of sugar with cinnamon and clove to taste.
- Cook the apples on low heat for about thirty minutes, until the fruits disintegrate and reach a creamy consistency.
- Add the juice of half a lemon to prevent discoloration.
If you like a chunky apple sauce you can finish here otherwise follow step six.
- Take a second pot or bowl in which you strain your apple sauce in. Push the apple pieces through with a wooden spoon.
For a completely smooth outcome use a hand-blender to blend the apple sauce.
- Taste and adjust sweetness and seasoning with cinnamon.
Enjoy its many uses!
- Sweet pie: Fill a pastry-lined pie form decorate with a pastry net or cover it fully
- Sweet pie: Fill a baked pie crust and top with meringue (can be done while hot)
- Hot or cold dessert topped with whipped cream
- Hot dessert topped with meringue
- Side-dish to potato-fritters
- Side dish to pan-cakes
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
Follow an image link to learn about the ingredients:
How much apple mash to prepare?
The amount to prepare is always a tricky question. For four people eating apple sauce with potato pancakes or filling one round apple pie, we use one-kilogram apples.
In general, the sourer the apple you use is the more sugar you will probably add. If you use a sweeter apple or mix different apple types together you change the aroma and sweetness of the sauce. So please see the amounts as a rough guideline and adjust the cooked apple recipe to your taste.
The apple sauce recipe goes well with potato pancakes or makes a great filling for apple pies. All the same, it can be served as a dessert on its own or spiced up with some ice cream or yogurt.
Do you have a serving suggestion? Drop EasyHealthyRecipesForKids a note and we will add it.
For more ideas on sweet treats visit us on Pinterest.
Did you try the recipe?
Feel free to share your thoughts 🙂.