Creamy Fish Curry Recipe Full Of Flavor
When our family tried this fish curry recipe for the first time, some of us were a bit worried about the ingredient composition. Coconut in a savory dish was something new to us. Usually, it is more associated with sweet bakeries rather than a component in our dinner.
We grew to love the combination of ginger, turmeric, cumin, coriander, and chili, which is gently balanced by the coconut cream resulting in irresistible new flavors. The fish curry brought a new dimension to the often baked fish fillets served for dinner.
The recipe as it is now is for all that love a thick and creamy sauce full of flavor. Our first runs proofed to be more watery, but the addition of tomato paste gives the chance to adjust this shortcoming nicely.
It is not to everyone's liking to keep the seeds, turmeric, and ginger root whole and roast them. But you can always grind them with a pestle. Using roasted seeds or fresh pestled spices provide a fuller flavor than the store-bought ground spices.
Please know we love feedback so either drop "Easy Healthy Recipes For Kids" a line via the Contact Us page.
Comment or review here your experiences and successes with the recipe. Or even share your favorite recipe.
Fish Curry Recipe
The fish curry recipe is for all that love a thick and creamy sauce full of flavor.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Cuisine: Indian inspired
Suitable: Gluten-free Diet
- 600g fish, filet, white, e.g. mirror dory, kahawai or other
- 2 tbsp oil, e.g. coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 2 chilies, green, mild, finely sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 onion, large, finely diced
- 4 tomatoes about 4 cm in diameter, cubed
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 200 ml coconut cream
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper corn
- 5 cm cinnamon, sliver of quill
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cardamom seeds
- 2 clove seeds
- ginger root, 2 cm
- turmeric root, 5 cm
- 1 cup coriander leaves, chopped, loosely filled
Step by step:
- Measure all spices for the fish curry recipe, including cumin, coriander, black peppercorns, a sliver of a cinnamon quill, bay leaf, the clove seeds, and the seeds of cardamom into a stone pestle. Grind all spices for the fish curry recipe together.
- Once done, add pieces of ginger and turmeric root and crush it with the pestle under the coarse spice powder.
- Wash and pat dry the fish fillet. Use a knife to cut the fish into cubes or pieces and set aside.
- Wash the tomatoes thoroughly. Cut them into cubes, just that the pieces of skin are not too large (the tomatoes disintegrate some minutes after cooking anyway).
- Peel and half the two large onions then dice them finely.
- Heat the coconut oil in a stockpot.
- Now sauté the finely diced onion and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes or until translucent. Reduce the heat when you realize that the onions start to burn.
- Stir in the green chilies.
- Season with half a teaspoon of salt!
- Now fold under the cubed tomatoes, accompanied by the two tablespoons of tomato paste. Let it cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Mix under the 200 ml coconut cream, bring it to a boil and let the sauce at reduced heat simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Add the fish pieces to the sauce. Cover them with sauce. It takes about 5 minutes to cook the fish. Maybe a couple of minutes longer if the dices are thicker then take off the heat.
- With a wooden cooking spoon fold under the chopped fresh coriander and let the fish curry sit for 5 minutes.
Enjoy its many uses!
My family likes it with rice that has two tablespoons of desiccated
coconut added to it. For this portion we cook 1 ¾ cup of Basmati rice.
In case you prefer bread as a side dish a flat-bread such as
naan is a traditional serving option.
We thrive on feedback. Please return to leave a comment and share your experiences.
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
Kids like showing off their new skills
The custom kids cooking apron allows you to personalize it. It is an encouraging symbol for kids when helping with the food preparation and learning to cook.
Did you try the recipe?
Feel free to share your thoughts 🙂.
Curry recipes you might like
Serving the green bean curry recipe leaves regularly everyone asking for more. Its flavors are nicely balanced and all ingredients bring out the best.
The pumpkin curry recipe with beef is one of the many recipes that bring out the best of a pumpkin or a winter squash.
The sweet potato curry embodies a highlight in the curry journey. Curry went from being a dish which was rarely requested to being one of our favorites.
The chicken curry recipe is speedy and easy to cook but the result is a dish full of exciting flavours.