Homemade Spelt Bread Recipe With Kefir
For kids, this easy spelt bread recipe is fun to prepare and a great opportunity to bake bread for the whole family.
Our family has experimented quite a bit with bread making. We used to perceive buying a French baguette as a treat. That changed when we managed to bake a bread that was light, fluffy, and warm irresistible.
Toying with the basic recipe, we soon developed variations that enhanced the outcome even more.
It’s fabulous that we can control, how fluffy the result becomes as well as how soft or crunchy the crust turns out. It is easy to adjust the taste by adding your favorite spices like cardamom, cumin, or others. These additions make an ordinary bread taste special.
In comparison to the kefir bread, we reduced the kefir to one cup for this recipe, which eliminated the slight cheesy tasting component. Adding a teaspoon of yeast granules ensured the fermentation process and returning a consistent outcome.
The rest is pretty much up to the preference of the baker. Those following a low sodium diet can easily adjust the recipe, so can those who reduce sugar or go sugar-free. We experimented with adding sugar or leaving it away and adding salt or accidentally forgetting it. There was no noticeable impact on taste or outcome.
How to fit baking bread into your daily life?
Prepare the dough itself either in the morning to bake in the evening,
or in the evening to enjoy this easy bread recipe freshly baked in the
morning. Alternatively, baking bread once a week, and keeping the
surplus loaves of bread frozen in the freezer can become a solution.
The long rising and fermentation time gives the light and fluffy results that you want.
Please know we love feedback so either drop "Easy Healthy Recipes For Kids" a line via the Contact Us page.
Comment or review here your experiences and successes with the recipe. Or even share your favorite recipe.
Spelt Bread Recipe
The spelt bread recipe makes two loaves of bread or twenty buns. The spelt buns are fantastic to add to your lunch box or to use as burger buns. Spelt is an easy to use grain to replace wheat flour. Its baking results are similar to the wheat flour.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 60 minutes
Yield: 2 loafs/ 20 buns
Ingredients for the base recipe:
The amount makes two loaves (22cm/13cm) or twenty buns that are perfect for using as burger buns.
- 6 cups spelt flour, white
- 1 tsp of yeast granules
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups of water, luke-warm
- 3 tsp of salt, Himalayan crystal salt
- 1 cup of kefir
Tip: Rushing when baking bread results in a dense outcome.
Setting aside time for the fermentation is essential. There are no shortcuts in bread baking. If the dough did not rise to at least double its size, the result is a lot denser.
Step by step:
- Measure the flour into a large kneading bowl.
- Press a hole into the middle of the flour. There mix a teaspoon of yeast with a quarter cup of lukewarm water. Wait 5-10 minutes or until bubbles are visible.
- Around the flour well, add three teaspoons of Himalayan salt, the remaining cup of water, and the cup of kefir.
- The formation of bubbles in the well is a sign of yeast activation. When bubbles are visible in the water well start kneading all ingredients together. If it is difficult to bind all ingredients, adding more water helps to form a smooth dough ball.
- Let the dough ferment and rise in a warm place for 6-8 hours.
- After the fermentation period, punch the dough down and knead well.
- Split the dough ball to form two loaves. Place each into a, 13 by 22 cm, loaf form to bake.
- Covered, let the bread loaves rise for a minimum of 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 200C° (Convert!). Set the timer to 20 minutes to bake the bread without cover. After that, cover the two loaf forms with foil. Use the foil in the manner that the reflective surface directs towards the bread and turn down the oven heat to 180C° (Convert!).
- Set the timer for another 40 minutes. When the bread shows a honey-colored crust, the baking is complete.
Let the oven-fresh bread cool for twenty minutes. It improves the cut ability. You might want to cut the slices a bit thicker because it is so fresh.
Enjoy its delicious taste!
We would love to hear about how you liked the spelt bread recipe.
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
Spice the spelt bread recipe up
Add a favorite spice such as a ¼ teaspoon of cardamom which
makes ordinary bread special.
Bread and seeds
The dough of the spelt bread recipe accommodates one cup of seeds well. Choose one or mix the seeds and distribute the amount evenly to amount to Seeds 1/3 cup: sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
Add them at the first
½ cup overnight soaked grains: millet or buckwheat
Knead them under at the first kneading process or when
- The sweet potato bread recipe
- Olive and onion bread recipe
- Zucchini bread recipe
- Carrot bread recipe
- Pumpkin bread recipe
Follow the image links to learn more about the ingredient
Did you try the recipe?
Feel free to share your thoughts 🙂.