Spelt Bread Recipe
The recipe makes two loaves of bread or twenty buns. Spelt is an easy to use grain to replace wheat flour. Its baking results are similar to the wheat flour.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Rest time: 6-8 hours
Bake time: 60 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
Cuisine: German inspired
Suitable: Vegetarian diet
6 cups spelt flour, white
- 1 tsp of yeast granules
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups of water, luke-warm
- 3 tsp of salt, Himalayan crystal salt
- 1 cup of kefir
Tip: Rushing when baking bread results in a dense outcome.Setting
aside time for the fermentation is essential. There are no shortcuts in
bread baking. If the dough did not rise to at least double its size,
the result is a lot denser.
Step by step:
- Measure the flour into a large kneading bowl.
- Press a hole into the middle of the flour. There mix a teaspoon of yeast with a quarter cup of lukewarm water. Wait 5-10 minutes or until bubbles are visible.
- Around the flour well, add three teaspoons of Himalayan salt, the remaining cup of water, and the cup of kefir.
- The formation of bubbles in the well is a sign of yeast activation. When bubbles are visible in the water well start kneading all ingredients together. If it is difficult to bind all ingredients, adding more water helps to form a smooth dough ball.
- Let the dough ferment and rise in a warm place for 6-8 hours.
- After the fermentation period, punch the dough down and knead well.
- Split the dough ball to form two loaves. Place each into a, 13 by 22 cm, loaf form to bake.
- Covered, let the bread loaves rise for a minimum of 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat the oven to 200C°. Set the timer to 20 minutes to bake the bread without cover. After that, cover the two loaf forms with foil. Use the foil in the manner that the reflective surface directs towards the bread and turn down the oven heat to 180C°.
- Set the timer for another 40 minutes. When the bread shows a honey-colored crust, the baking is complete.
Recipe, images, and content © Food to Grow, unless noted otherwise | www.Easy-Healthy-Recipes-For-Kids.com