Sweet Potato Salad Recipe
This sweet potato salad recipe (or more commonly known as kumara salad recipe in New Zealand) is great as a complete meal or as a side dish.
Sweet potatoes are a root vegetable. They are a super food filled with loads of nutrients. Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin A, C, E, beta carotene and potassium. They serve great steamed, roasted or raw.
We can’t compare potatoes with sweet potatoes as they are completely different in taste and colour as well as everything else. We can however replace potato with sweet potato in just about every recipe they also serve as a sweet and flavoursome addition to any meal.
There are three types of sweet potato red, gold and orange. My favourite one is orange which coincidently has the sweetest taste of the three. Red is the most common with a distinguishing red skin and white flesh. In order of sweetest to mildest the orange kumara would be first, then the gold and then the red.
Sweet potato fennel salad
Serves 3 - 4
- 6 small steamed and cooled sweet potatoes (kumara)
- Fennel 2 small or 1 large
- 300g spinach
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of ground ginger
- Steam the whole washed sweet potato over water for about 15 minutes. Peel and cut into mouth-sized pieces. Add the cooled steamed sweet potato cubes to your salad bowl.
- Wash and slice the fennel and add to the bowl.
- Clean the spinach, cut it into strips and add to the bowl,too.
- To make the sauce fill all the ingredients into a dressing shaker. The orange juice,
apple cider vinegar, mustard, olive oil, ground ginger, salt and pepper then shake well.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss everything together. Now the salad with sweet potatoes is ready to serve.
We like to eat this salad with oven baked fish fillet like hoki, salmon, or mirror dory. Simply seasoned with salt and pepper with some melted butter on top. Served with a slice of lemon.
We love feedback. Return to comment and leave your thoughts about the sweet potato salad recipe.
New salads and dips:
Skip to more ...
Easy Salad Recipes
Sweet Potato Salad