Sweet Rice cake recipe
This is the rice cake recipe I remember my grandma used to
cook. Since I am busy during the day, and in the evening my family and I prefer
savory dishes, we pretty much forgot about this one. With the feijoa tree full
of fruits this rice recipe came to mind. Though we couldn’t source rice
labelled particularly as milk rice we chose to use medium grain rice. It worked
well. In fact it worked so well that the idea gave us the inspiration to
experiment and replace the rice with millet a few days later.
What we learned that feijoas as the fruit of
choice in this warm rice recipe worked well. We served it with warm
homemade vanilla sauce, for which I must admit I have a weakness. In this case
we paired this sweet dish with a homemade tomato soup. In future we plan to
prepare the rice in the evening and mix the rest of the ingredients under and
bake it in the morning. This a tasty gluten free cake recipe.
Please know we love feedback so either drop "Easy Healthy Recipes For Kids" a line via the Contact Us page.
Comment or review here your experiences and successes with the recipe. Or even share your favorite recipe.
Rice cake recipe ingredient list:
a tray size 29cm/21 cm
Medium grain rice
- 250g of medium grain rice
- 1L of milk
- 50g of vanilla sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- 3 eggs separated into egg yolks and egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or butter to grease the oven dish
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
Feijoas, apples, pears, apricots
Step by step method:
- Measure one liter of milk and two hundred and fifty grams of
medium grain rice or milk rice into a pot.
- Heat and let simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes or
until the milk is completely soaked up by the rice. Take the rice from the heat
and let it cool for about 20 minutes.
- Grease a deep baking tray or heat proof casserole dish.
- Peel the feijoa fruits. Use as many as you want to place on
top (fruit of your choice e.g. peel and quarter apples or pears).
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C°. Convert!
- Separate the three egg yolks and egg whites into two bowls.
- Mix the egg whites until peaks form and set aside. Briefly
mix the three egg yolks together and then mix them under the cooked and cooled
rice, along with fifty grams of vanilla sugar and the zest of one lemon.
- At last with a spoon or spatula fold the egg whites under.
- Distribute the mass into the deep tray and press the fruit
- Bake for 40 minutes at 180C°.
Rice cake recipe serving suggestions:
Warm topped with homemade vanilla sauce.
Please come back to share your rice cake recipe cooking successes. For more ideas, please visit Food to Grow on Pinterest.
Did you try the recipe?
Feel free to share your thoughts 🙂.