Broccoli Cauliflower Casserole
broccoli cauliflower casserole is a warming dish that is easy to prepare. As a leftover
it is easily warmed up the next day and eaten on its own or as a good side
dish served with eggs or sausages.
Please know we love feedback so either drop "Easy Healthy Recipes For Kids" a line via the Contact Us page.
Comment or review here your experiences and successes with the recipe. Or even share your favorite recipe.
Ingredient list for the broccoli cauliflower casserole:
Serves 6-8 kids or 3-4 adults
- 300g broccoli florets
- 300g cauliflower florets
- 300g (about 3 medium sized) potatoes
- 300g (about 3 small) sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Black pepper
- Some butter to grease the casserole form
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 ½ cups of grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable stock powder
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
Method for the sauce:
- Heat the two tablespoons of butter on a low temperature until it lightly bubbles but is not browned.
- Stir in two tablespoons of flour. If it is difficult to get a smooth consistency add a bit more butter.
- When the butter and the flour forms a lump free and smooth consistency, stir the one and a half cups of milk under bit by bit.
- Season with black pepper, nutmeg, salt and vegetable stock powder and blend in one cup of grated cheese.
- Let the sauce simmer on the lowest heat for about 5-8 minutes or until the cheese is well melted and the sauce is of a thickly consistency (not stiff).
Step by step for the broccoli cauliflower casserole:
Preheat the oven to 200 C°. Convert!
- Grease the casserole dish with butter.
the running water wash the broccoli and the cauliflower florets. If you that their are any
insects within the florets soak them in water with salt and
vinegar for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes and the sweet potatoes thoroughly. Decide whether the potatoes and the sweet potatoes
need to be peeled or not. Organic, fresh, firm and new season potatoes can
be sliced thinly with the peel on, if you don’t mind the skin. The most nutrients are stored directly
under the skin.
- The first layer of the casserole is
formed by the thin slices of potato and sweet potato. Spread them evenly and
sprinkle pepper, nutmeg and salt on top.
- Peel and dice the onion and the garlic and place on top of the first layer.
- Take the broccoli and the cauliflower florets out of the salt, vinegar solution, spin dry and distribute as a top layer.
- Pour the sauce evenly on top and finish by spreading the remaining half a cup of grated cheese over the top.
with a lid or with foil. If you choose to cover the dish with foil let the shinny side face the dish and the matte side face away. Let it the casserole bake with the cover on for 40 minutes at 200
C°. Convert! Then take the cover off and let it brown for another 10
For those who love their meat add some diced organic ham to the middle layer of the dish. This complements this casserole dish well.
love your opinions so let me know what you think about the broccoli cauliflower casserole dish.
For more ideas please, visit Food to Grow on Pinterest.
Did you try the recipe?
Feel free to share your thoughts 🙂.