Easy Ratatouille Recipe
Colourful and Tasty!
This ratatouille recipe is quick and simple as with many of the recipes we make. I know ratatouille from the movie 'Ratatouille' with the signature dish in the movie being ratatouille.
It was however made differently to the version below, the vegetables were sliced very thinly and then layered which gave a beautifully colourful effect it was then baked in a casserole dish. It is easy to tell that this is a very time consuming method even though it may look pretty.
This rice recipe has a very fresh and light feel which I love and I hope you will too. If you have different versions of ratatouille we would enjoy hearing from you.
Time: 35 min
Utensils: 1 pot, 1 large pan, cooking-spoon, spoon, measuring cup
Ingredient List For The Colourful Ratatouille Recipe:
- Olive oil
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 white onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 small courgettes/zucchini, 500g
- Herbs fresh: 1 cup freshly chopped Italian herbs (mix of thyme, marjoram, oregano, rosemary and basil
- Alternatively use dried herbs 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs and 2 teaspoon dried basil
- Spices pepper and salt to taste
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 capsicum (1 red and 1 green)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Method To Prepare The Ratatouille Recipe:
- Wash and dice the eggplant in about 1cm cubes. Heat the pan with some olive oil when hot add the cubed eggplant.
- Peel and dice the onions and the garlic. Add them to the eggplant after five minutes.
- Wash the courgettes and cut them in 1 cm slices.
with 1 teaspoon of dried Italian herbs, 2 teaspoons of dried basil, pepper
- Add the washed and cubed tomatoes and the red and green capsicum.
in the teaspoon of paprika, stir and let simmer for 5-10 minutes with a
closed lid. Test to see if the seasoning is sufficient.
- Should you use fresh Italian herbs or just add some fresh basil. The time is now to stir them under.
- Then switch off the heat and let sit for another 5 minutes so that the flavours can fully develop.
- Grate your Parmesan to sprinkle on each serving.
Serve with: rice, (long grain rice brown or white)
- 2 cups of rice
- 4 cups of water
Wash the rice and screen for impurities, add into a small pot with four cups of water. Bring the rice in the water on medium heat to the boil (that keeps the rice from burning and sticking to the bottom). When the water boils, turn down the heat to the lowest. Leave it there for about 15 minutes. Then stir and turn off the heat. Leave the pot covered for another 5 minutes before serving. If the rice sticks to the bottom, add a tablespoon of hot water and let sit with the stove turned off for another five minutes.
Your dish is ready to serve.
Check out easy salad recipes as a side dish!