Have you ever wondered while preparing the Moussaka recipe, if it would be possible to skip the grilling of the eggplants?
We tried it and succeeded. The outcome is just as delicious. The original recipe also had cinnamon and allspice in combination with the oregano and the Bechamel Sauce was prepared with 3 egg yolks. After testing this version we decided that it was too heavy. The cinnamon and the allspice in combination with the eggs in the sauce left a heavy feeling in our stomachs which was still present the next morning.
This led us to giving the recipe a second adjusted run. Our version follows here in our online cook book. The dish was emptied completely a sure sign of success.
Please know we love feedback so either drop "Easy Healthy Recipes For Kids" a line via the Contact Us page.
Comment or review here your experiences and successes with the recipe. Or even share your favorite recipe.
Moussaka recipe ingredient list:
Deep oven pan 21cm by 29cm
- 400g of beef mince
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 400g of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
- 1 kg of potatoes
- 1kg of eggplants (aubergine)
- 1 teaspoon of oil to grease the tray
- Pepper and salt to season
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 tablespoons of spelt flour
- 2 cups of milk
- white pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup loosely filled with grated cheese
Step by step method:
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown the beef mince.
- In the mean time peel and dice the two onions and the three
gloves of garlic. When the meat is cooked through, stir the onion and the
- Season with two
teaspoons of dried oregano, half a teaspoon of black pepper and half a teaspoon
- Wash and chop the tomatoes before mixing them under.
- Add one teaspoon of sweet paprika and let it cook for five
- Take the meat filling of the heat and prepare the Béchamel
- During the simmering time of the Béchamel Sauce wash, peel
and slice the potatoes thinly about 2-3mm thick. Then place them in a deep
greased oven tray as the first layer. Sprinkle some pepper and salt on top of
the potato layer.
- Preheat the oven to 180C°. Convert!
- After washing the eggplants remove both ends and slice them as
thin as the potatoes. Layer half of the eggplants on top of the potatoes.
Sprinkle with pepper and salt.
- Distribute the meat filling and top it with the last layer
of eggplant which is then covered by the Bechamel Sauce and sprinkled with
- Bake for 40 minutes at 180C°.
We thrive on feedback of your cooking successes. Please share a comment and a photo of your cooking Moussaka recipe success. For more ideas, please visit Food to Grow on Pinterest.
Did you try the recipe?
Feel free to share your thoughts 🙂.