Thiacry - Couscous Recipe
Sweet Soup - Couscous Dessert
This couscous recipe is adapted from Thiacry a sweet soup which is served in a small village in Senegal. It was made with freshly made couscous, fermented milk and sugar.
The adaptation here uses instant couscous. Thiacry or Chakery as it is also called is a great dessert which is easy to prepare.
Please know we love feedback so either drop "Easy Healthy Recipes For Kids" a line via the Contact Us page.
Comment or review here your experiences and successes with the recipe. Or even share your favorite recipe.
- 1 1/2 cups of kefir or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of couscous (before soaking)
- 2 oranges filleted (optional)
- about 1/2 cup of dried cranberries (optional)
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut (optional)
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
- Bring one cup of water to the boil and pour over the couscous, stir and set it covered aside.
- Whisk kefir, sour cream and condensed milk together.
- Add sugar and nutmeg to taste.
- Stir the couscous under.
- Peel, fillet and cut the oranges to add to the sweet soup.
- Stir under the coconut and the cranberries.
sweet recipe using couscous is at its best when it has rested for an
hour in the fridge before serving. So it is easy to prepare it in
advance. It even is possible to prepare the Thiakry a day before. If the
couscous and the coconut have soaked up all liquid and the dessert has a
thick consistency you may want to add some more kefir or milk.
Tip: The last time we prepared this sweet soup we were curious about what would happen if we soaked the couscous without adding boiling water and just put it straight into the kefir mix. It turned out fine. We let the couscous soak in the kefir fruit mixture for about two hours.
We love feedback, so please let us know how you got on with this couscous recipe by using the form or through the contact page. For more sweet treat ideas please visit Food to Grow on Pinterest.
Couscous recipe fruit alternatives
An alternative fruit combination to add to the couscous mix is pineapple, raisins and filleted mandarins.
Did you try the recipe?
Feel free to share your thoughts 🙂.