Carrot Curry Recipe
Versatile carrots always encourage me to experiment. This
carrot curry recipe is the result of preparing a staple in our kitchen and
creating something out of the ordinary. The curry was a success, well balanced
between sweet and hot. The ginger, turmeric and coconut enhanced the natural
sweetness of the carrots and the chili added a hint of mild hotness.
It goes well on its own with basmati rice or naan bread but also
complements chickpea burgers just as well.
Please know we love feedback so either drop "Easy Healthy Recipes For Kids" a line via the Contact Us page.
Comment or review here your experiences and successes with the recipe. Or even share your favorite recipe.
Ingredient list to cook a carrot curry:
Serving suggestion: Basmati rice, falafel patty
- 800g of carrots shredded
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (or other)
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 3 green chilies split lengthwise, de-seeded and finely
- 3 heaped tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely diced or crushed
- 5 cm piece of fresh turmeric root
- 3cm piece of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt, or more
- 1 can of coconut cream
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
- Wash and scrape or peel the carrots.
- Wash the curry leaves, spin dry them and plug them off their
- Wash the three red chilies split them lengthwise, de- seed
them and slice them thinly.
- The two onions are peeled and then diced. The three cloves
of garlic are prepared in the same way as the onions. Meanwhile the fresh
ginger root and turmeric root are scraped or peeled and grated or diced
depending on what you prefer.
- In a large pan or a pot heat the coconut oil then stir in
the mustard seeds. Stir in intervals until the seeds have popped.
- Add the curry leaves and the green chilies and fry them for
a moment before adding the ginger root and the turmeric root followed by
desiccated coconut, cumin and Himalayan salt. Stir frequently. Lastly add the
onions and the garlic.
- After 3-5 minutes
when the onions are translucent, mix under the shredded carrots. Let them cook
for five minutes on low to medium heat before adding the can of coconut cream.
Simmer until all is heated through.
Basmati rice with a
chickpea burger was our choice to complement this dish. It has more a mild and sweetish
hot taste with the combination of chili and coconut, while the ginger and
turmeric just go well with it. What do you think about this combination?
Please return and let us know how you liked the carrot curry recipe. For more ideas on curry recipes visit Food to Grow on Pinterest.
Did you try the recipe?
Feel free to share your thoughts 🙂.