Basic Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
The basic rhubarb sauce recipe tastes sweet and tangy.
On its own, the sauce makes a great dessert. For special occasions decorate it with whipped cream, overbake it with a white meringue crown or serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice.
For morning tea the sauce is a perfect filling in a sweet pie.
For dishes like pancakes or potato-fritters, it becomes a delicious
side-dish. Share how you like to use this versatile fruit sauce.
Get new recipes and insights with our monthly e-zine.
Great Grandma's Best Apple Pie Recipe
By Beate Cisse, May 18, 2020
The basic rhubarb sauce, with its sweet and tangy taste, is one of the many spring-flavours. It is perfect by itself or topping a warm sweet pie with white meringue on top or aside of vanilla ice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes, 1 hour resting
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 Pie filling
Suitable for: Vegetarian Diet, Low Salt Diet
- 1kg Rhubarb
- 200g sugar
- 2tbsp vanilla sugar
Method to prepare the rhubarb sauce:
- Wash and cut the rhubarb stems in 1-inch pieces (to improve the red colouration leave the skin on)
- Collect the rhubarb cuts in a saucepan
- Fold under the two hundred grams of sugar and vanilla sugar
- Leave in the fridge for an hour to draw water
- Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes
- Stir frequently, until the cuts disintegrate, and the consistency is creamy.
- Sweet pie: Fill a pastry-lined pie form decorate with a pastry net or cover it fully
- Sweet pie: Fill a baked pie crust and top with meringue (can be done while hot)
- Hot or cold dessert topped with whipped crème
- Hot dessert topped with meringue
- Side-dish to potato-fritters
- Side-dish to pan-cakes
- Topping for vanilla ice
- Topping for vanilla custard
For more ideas on easy to prepare sweet treats visit us at Pinterest where we collect and share recipe ideas. If you share your tried recipe with the hashtag #foodtogrow we will add it its board.