French Toast Recipe
Economic but a hit for the whole family
Making a French toast recipe is a great way to get rid of stale bread or spice up plain bead. Its so simple and only requires a few ingredients eggs, milk and bread so when your supplies are running low rest assured that you may be able to make something as delicious as French toast.
The only reason I can think of that French toast is called 'French' toast is because it is commonly made using baguette (French bread stick). It is however known all over the world under different names such as bread with egg, poor knights, sweet toast, eggy bread etc..
Recipe: French Toast
Two days old baguette (white and wholemeal or multi-grain), rolls or toast are fine. If you don't have enough collect the bread over a longer period and freeze it. When the
bread is already dry through and through the outcome is not as nice.
- 6-8 slices baguette per person
- 1-2 eggs
- milk (milk substitutes: rice milk or soy milk)
Receive a free to download 27-page e-booklet:
Banana Smoothie Recipes For Kids
and subscribe to our monthly newsletter filled with new recipes, ideas and insights.
- Cut the bread into slices.
- Break two eggs in a bowl add a splash of milk and whisk well with a fork.
- Heat your frying pan at medium heat. Test if it is hot enough with a drop of water. It will give a sizzling sound when it is hot enough. Lightly cover the whole pan in oil.
- Turn as many slices of bread in the egg mix as you can fit into your pan. They should be well covered on both sides. If the bread sticks to the pan, the pan may be either not hot enough or too hot ( the oil starts smelling burnt). Turn the bread so that both sides get a baked surface and the bread is cooked through.
Turn the slices of bread in the egg milk mix just before moving them into the frying pan. If you soak them in the egg mix for too long they often stay soggy in the centre.
Serving suggestion to the breakfast recipe:
Tastes best served right away with some maple syrup or a sugar, cinnamon mix.
Click the thumbnails for related recipes:
French Toast Recipe