Ginger Cookie Recipe With Fresh Ginger Root
ginger cookie recipe baked with fresh ginger root promotes the fresh and spicy
taste of ginger.
The most recipes I found used a lot more butter and very much
more sugar. In our family we try to reduce on sugar and surprisingly it seems
that most recipes work fabulous with less. To make the sugar more dominant we
chose to roll the cookie balls in it before placing them onto the baking sheet.
List of ingredients:
Makes about 60 walnut sized ginger cookies
- 3 cups of spelt flour
- 100g butter at room temperature
- 100g sugar (unrefined)
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup (pale treacle)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 3 tablespoon of finely diced or grated ginger root
To roll in:
- Prepare two baking sheets lined with baking paper.
- Measure all of the ingredients into a bowl starting with the
three cups of flour. Then follow with 100g each of the butter and the sugar. Let a tablespoon of Golden syrup drip in,
this might take a while but you can use a spoon to make the syrup drip faster.
Now crack the two eggs in, sprinkle the teaspoon of baking powder and ground
ginger on top with half a teaspoon of cinnamon. At last peel and dice or crush
the ginger and put it into the bowl too. The three tablespoons of ginger are
about a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger root.
- Now the kneading part begins you may love it or hate it. It
is a sticky process. I use just one hand so that my other hand is free and I work
all of the ingredients thoroughly through to one consistent mass.
- For better workability place the dough in the fridge for 30
minutes. If it stays in longer the dough might get too hard and therefore must
be softened again.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C°. Convert!
- Since I am impatient I do not usually place the dough in the
fridge. Instead I use a spoon to help me to portion the amount of dough
required to form one cookie. The dough is then swiftly rolled in to a ball. It works well as long as the dough is not kept for too long in the hand. Cool down your hands in between with a bit of cold water and carry on.
- The walnut sized ball is then briefly tossed in a bowl with
sugar and placed on the baking sheet. It is best to leave some space between
the cookies they tend to spread a bit.
Get new recipes and insights with our monthly e-zine.
Bake the cookies for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Let them cool completely before storing them into the cookie jar.
Share your thoughts on how you liked the ginger cookie recipe.
Newest cookie recipes:
Skip to more ...
Ginger Cookie Recipe