Carrot Salad with Fresh Turmeric and Curry Leaves
This carrot salad makes for a delicious side dish. This
salad unites flavours from popular curry dishes such as fresh turmeric root,
green chillies and curry leaves and combines them with finely grated carrots,
sliced celery sticks and a shredded apple. The dressing adds in its simplicity.
It is mixed of olive oil, salt and red wine vinegar. The result is a sweetish
fruity salad that intensifies its flavours when it is prepared and hour to one
day in advance.
It quickly became one of our favoured salads during the
winter months when the tomatoes are scarce and watery, the cucumbers are
expensive and just imported much overprized capsicum’s are available on the
Salad recipe with carrots
Serves 3 - 4
- 400g carrots, these are about four medium sized carrots,
- 2 green chillies
- 1 thumb sized piece of fresh turmeric root, finely grated
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 3 sprigs of curry leaves, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon of Himalayan Crystal salt, or to taste
- 1 medium to large apple (crunchy like granny smith or brae
burn) shredded or chopped
- 2 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
Get new recipes and insights with our monthly e-zine.
Step by step method:
- Wash and peel the carrots. Grate the carrots using a hand
grater or a kitchen machine. Fill the grated carrot into a salad bowl.
- Wash, de-core and finely dice two chillies and add them.
- Peel and finely grate the fresh turmeric root into the bowl.
- Measure four tablespoons of olive oil and stir under.
- Wash and thinly slice the celery sticks before you mix them
- Wash the curry leaves, take them of the sprig and thinly
slice them before tossing them under.
- Stir under half a teaspoon of fine Himalayan salt.
- Wash, de-core and dice the apple before adding it to the
- Measure two tablespoons of red wine vinegar and mix
How did you like the salad? We love feedback so please come back and let us know how you got on with the carrot salad.
New salads and dips:
Skip to more ...
Easy Salad Recipes