Yeast Cake with Streusel Recipe
Covering An Apple Cake Or Plum Cake
A yeast cake is the foundation to many variations. Combined with the streusel recipe a dry cake is the outcome with the warming scent of cinnamon. The streusel as a topping on an apple cake with a yeast dough base, gives a fantastic sweet twist, if the apples of sourer varieties are used. The same principle applies to a plum cake.
Basic yeast cake recipe:
Tray size 22/30cm 2 ½ cups flour
Tray size 25/38cm 3 cups flour
Get new recipes and insights with our monthly e-zine.
- 2 and a 1/2 cups of spelt flour
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoon of yeast
- 150ml Luke warm milk or kefir (room temperature) or milk substitute (soy milk, rice milk) or water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 egg
Tried and tested are wheat, wheat wholemeal, spelt, spelt wholemeal. The white varieties are lighter and therefore rise easier. For that reason you may add one additional teaspoon of yeast if you choose the wholemeal varieties.
Step by step instructions:
- Measure the spelt flour in a bowl and create and indentation in the centre of
- Add the sugar and yeast into the indentation and fill it with the luke warm milk.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes or until bubbles are visible on the surface of the milk. The added sugar and the warmth of the milk causes the dough to rise faster.
- Add salt, butter and the egg.
- Start kneading until the dough reaches a smooth consistency.
- Put the dough to rest in a warm place for an hour or two.
- Once the dough at least doubled in size, knead it thoroughly once more. The better you do your job the better the air bubbles within the dough are distributed.
- Grease a tray with butter or line it with baking paper.
- Either press the dough by hand into the tray or roll it to the size of the tray. Once it is the required size the dough needs to be transferred into the tray. If you roll it out before putting the dough into the tray see to it that the surface you roll on is dusted with flour. It is good practise to check frequently to make sure the the dough is not sticking and if necessary add more flour.
- Let rise for another 30 minutes.
Possible toppings for the yeast cake base are 1 kg apples, or 1 kg plums or streusel.
Combine fruit topping and streusel as seen on the plum cake example you get a sweet sour sensation.
Should you choose to go by apples or plums on their own test/taste their sweetness and decide whether some sugar and cinnamon sprinkled over the top would enhance their flavour.
The yeast cake recipe is also a great basic dough for an apple turnover recipe. Other filling variations are: with nuts, coconut, cinnamon, or raisins, to form a roll or plaid. There are no limits on how to use it.
Streusel recipe - crumble recipe:
- 2 cups of spelt flour
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 2/3 cup of butter
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
Knead the ingredients together until streusel /crumbles form. If you knead longer one dough ball may form. Just break it up into crumbles again and spread them evenly on top of your streusel cake, plum cake or apple cake.
Preheat the oven to 180C°. Convert!
Bake the yeast cake for about 30 minutes or until the streusel and the edges of the dough show a golden brown colour.
The time depends on the oven, each behaves a bit different, and whether you use the fan to speed the baking process up. Therefore keep an eye on the dough edges towards the tray border, when the cake loosens of the edge and gets a slight golden colour the cake is done.
For thoughts and comments use this space here. To share your yeast cake inspirations in word and image use the form.
Fresh out of the oven plum cake, apple cake and streuselkuchen, with the baking scent still lingering in the house, with a touch of freshly whipped cream, are a dream come true. Nonetheless, they are just as fine cooled down.
Though, the plum cake shows the tendency to become soggy over time because the plum juice soaks the base. Therefore the fresher the more it will be enjoyed.
The apple cake and the streuselkuchen are more appreciative when kept for some days. There is no sign of sogginess.
Bottomless crumble recipes
Fruit cake recipes:
Do you have a favourite variation of this recipe?
Post it in word and photo here!
What is Your Favourite Recipe?
Do you have a favourite recipe? Share it!