Easy Ratatouille Recipe
Colourful and Tasty!
This ratatouille recipe is quick and simple as with many of the recipes we make. I know ratatouille from the movie 'Ratatouille' with the signature dish in the movie being ratatouille.
It was however made differently to the version below, the vegetables were sliced very thinly and then layered which gave a beautifully colourful effect it was then baked in a casserole dish. It is easy to tell that this is a very time consuming method even though it may look pretty.
This rice recipe has a very fresh and light feel which I love and I hope you will too. If you have different versions of ratatouille we would enjoy hearing from you.
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- Olive oil
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 white onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 small courgettes/zucchini
- Spices: 1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs, 2 teaspoon dried basil (or 1/4 cup fresh basil), pepper, salt
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 capsicum (1 red and 1 green)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring the water for your rice to boiling point and add your washed and drained rice (or rice soaked overnight).
- Wash and dice the eggplant in about 1cm cubes. Heat the pan with some olive oil when hot add the cubed eggplant.
- Peel and dice the onions and the garlic. Add them to the eggplant after five minutes.
- Wash the courgettes and cut them in 1 cm slices.
- Season with 1 teaspoon of dried Italian herbs, 2 teaspoons of dried basil (Should you use fresh basil stir them under right at the end), pepper and salt.
- Add the washed and cut into cubes tomatoes and the red and green capsicum.
- Put in the teaspoon of paprika, stir and let simmer for 5-10 minutes with a closed lid. Test to see if the seasoning is sufficient.
- Then switch off the heat and let sit for another 5 minutes so that the flavours can fully develop.
- Grate your parmesan and serve.
Check out easy salad recipes as a side dish!