Nut Roll Recipe
Great Grandmother's Original & Colour Reversed Adaptation
The nut roll recipe my grandmother often baked for family gatherings is great and loved by all. This time our love of coconut gained and we adapted. The result was delicious. A sure sign, when the cake was eaten in the blink of an eye and left us wanting more of the coconut roll.
This nut cake recipe is suitable to be kept well for 2 to 3 weeks by wrapping it in foil or placing it in a box. A point that can come handy when preparing for an event. Though it might require some self control to resist the temptation.
- 1.5 cups of flour (spelt)
- 1/2 cup of sugar (brown)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 125g of butter (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence or vanilla sugar
- 1 cup of hazelnuts, grounded
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg (separate egg yolk and egg white)
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of rum essence (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180C°. Convert!
- Mix flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl. Now add the egg, milk, softened butter and the vanilla essence and knead the dough until it turns into a smooth ball. If the dough became too sticky place it in the fridge for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling. Mix the ground hazelnuts with the sugar, the egg-white, the water and the rum essence in a second bowl and stir together with a spoon until the mix becomes a smooth paste. Keep the remaining egg yolk for later use.
- Spread some flour on a board or an even surface where you can easily roll the dough into an rectangle. Check carefully that it doesn't stick to the surface on which it is rolled out on. If necessary you can turn the dough and spread some more flour underneath it.
- Now distribute the filling. Try to spread it evenly on one long side to the edge and on the opposite side leave about 3cm free.
- Start rolling from the side that has filling right to its edge. The final step is to press the ends down to have a nice finish and place the roll on a tray covered with baking paper.
- Cut a few diagonal slits into the surface to give the roll space to expand. But as you can from our example the roll decided to split of its own accord, so maybe you will get a better result.
- To add shine and colour to the surface brush the nut roll with egg yolk mixed with a tablespoon of water or milk.
Bake for 45 minutes on 180C° or until golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean.
Adaptations to the recipe:
The last time we prepared the nut roll recipe we had the inspiration to change the colours and make a dark dough with a light filling. The taste of cocoa and coconut is just heavenly.
- 3 tablespoons of baking cocoa powder was kneaded into the dough
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut replaced the ground hazelnuts
Skip to... leave your comment about the nut roll recipe.
Fruit cake recipes: