Millet Cake Recipe
The following millet cake recipe evolved from the rice cake
recipe. It is a great dish to prepare as a special breakfast or for when on
holiday. Filled into muffin forms the millet cake is also a great addition to
any lunch box during the week as a, gluten free, sweet and fruity treat.
The millet cake can form the base for many of your favourite
fruits. In our example apples and pears are shown. These can be served topped
with feijoa purée or feijoa syrup or even a vanilla sauce.
Recipe ingredient list:
For a round casserole form 21 cm in diameter, or
12 muffin forms
- 1 1/2 cups of millet
- 3 cups of water
- 50g of vanilla sugar
- The zest of 1 lemon
- 4 eggs separated into egg yolks and egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil or butter to grease the oven dish
Feijoas, apples, pears
Step by step method:
Get new recipes and insights with our monthly e-zine.
- Boil the water, add the washed millet and let it simmer on
the lowest heat for about 20 minutes or until the water is completely soaked up
by the millet. Take the millet from the heat and let it cool down.
- Grease the heat proofed round casserole dish. If you use
muffin forms made of glass grease and dust them with a flour of your choice to
ensure you can take the muffins out easily.
- Peel the apples use as many as you want to place on top (It
can be any other fruit you would like for topping). In our case we used one
large and on small apple.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C°. Convert!
- Take two mixing bowls and separate the three egg yolks and
egg whites into the bowls.
- Mix the egg whites until peaks form and set aside. Briefly
mix or whisk the three egg yolks before working them under the cooled down millet
with fifty grams of vanilla sugar and the zest of one lemon.
- The last step is, using a spoon or a spatula to fold the
stiffened egg whites under the millet and egg yolk mixture.
- Spoon the millet into the casserole or muffin form and press
your chosen fruit in.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 180C°.
Millet cake serving suggestions:
Warm, topped with puréed feijoas. Just spoon out ripe feijoa fruits and purée about 500ml.
Warm homemade vanilla sauce is certainly a nice idea too.
Skip to... leave your comments about the millet cake recipe.
Click the thumbnails for related recipes:
Millet Cake Recipe