African Lamb Stew Recipe
Mafé A Souvenier From Senegal
Mafé, an African lamb stew recipe, is full of surprises with the mix of tomato and peanut butter which is what well defines this recipe. Every other ingredient can be replaced.
We followed tradition and cooked bigger pieces of vegetables. This made the plate decorating quite awkward. A point that shows no difficulty in Senegal. Family meals are arranged in one big bowl with the rice or couscous covering the bottom and neatly arranged on top is the sauce and the vegetables.
Everyone sits on a small stool and eats with their right hand directly out of the bowl.
Screen the rice for stones and wash it. Bring 3 cups and a 3/4 cup of water to the boil and add the rice for cooking. Let the rice simmer for about 25-30 minutes on the smallest heat possible with the lid on.
- 2 cups of couscous
- 1/2 a cup of sultanas
Follow this link to get insights on how to prepare and cook couscous and at the end add 1/2 a cup of sultanas.
- 400g of lamb cubed
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 gloves of garlic
- 190g of tomato paste
- Spices: pepper, salt, vegetable stock, 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 3 small carrots
- 3 pieces of cauliflower
- 3 slices of pumpkin
- 3 heaped tablespoons of peanut butter (the natural organic one tastes the best)
- Fry the cubed beef until cooked through. Add the diced onions and squashed garlic and cook until clear.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, vegetable stock and paprika.
- Add the tomato paste stir, and pour about 400ml of water in. Stir and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes.
- In the mean time: Wash the cauliflower, wash and peel the sweet potatoes, carrots and pumpkin. Stir and test if enough liquid is in and adjust. As an end result we want a thick sauce. Leave bigger pieces of the vegetables and place them on top of the meat sauce. Let simmer with a closed lid for another 10 minutes.
- Stir the 3 tablespoons of peanut butter in. Taste to see if it is well seasoned.
- Take it off the heat and let the sauce of the African lamb stew recipe sit for another 5 minutes, then serve.
Additional vegetable you may find in the original recipe:
Check out our selection on easy salad recipes to go with.
Skip to... leave a comment about the lamb stew recipe.
The newest stew recipes:
Lamb Stew Recipe