it is accepted that the falafel recipe has its origin in Egypt but is as well considered
as a national dish in Palestine and Israel. The fried falafel balls soon became
a popular street food in the Middle East and spread as such all over the world.
Vegetarians and vegans welcome falafel in pita pockets, in sandwich style wraps
and vegetable burgers as an alternative. Often the falafel is offered with fresh or
pickled vegetables topped with hot sauce, a tahini-based sauce or yoghurt sauce.
Falafel taste great fresh but are just as nice as leftover to take in the lunchbox the following day.
List of ingredients:
- about 28 walnut sized falafel
- about 10 falafel burgers
approximately 6cm in diameter
- 2 cups of dry chickpeas, soaked overnight, drained, crudely
processed or puréed into a fine paste
- 1 medium sized onion, finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed or finely diced
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of mild chilli
- ¼ teaspoon of cardamom
- ½ cup of fresh parsley chopped
- ½ cup of fresh coriander chopped
- 1 and ¾ teaspoons of Himalayan salt
- 1 and ½ tablespoons of spelt flour
- 1 egg (optional to help the mass stick together)
Coconut oil for frying (or any other heat bearing oil)
Directions step by step:
Get new recipes and insights with our monthly e-zine.
Soak the chickpeas for at least 4 hours or
overnight. For each cup of dry chickpeas use 3 cups of water.
- Drain and rinse the soaked chickpeas then fill them into a
- The onions and cloves of garlic are peeled, quartered and
added into the processing bowl.
- Now add all of the spices to it, the two teaspoons of cumin
seeds, and the teaspoon of ground coriander, the quarter teaspoon of black
pepper, mild chilli and ground cardamom. Finally stir in one and three quarter
teaspoons of Himalayan salt as well as the half cup of freshly washed, spin
dried and chopped parsley and coriander.
- Use the food processor to roughly or finely purée all of the
ingredients together. The coarseness of the mass determines the graininess of
the falafel or the falafel burger. A hand blender used to blend the mix in
smaller portions also does the job.
- Lastly mix the one and a half tablespoons of spelt flour
under. If you have decided on a coarser falafel mix it will be likely that an
additional egg mixed under improves the stickiness. This in turn makes forming
the balls or burgers easier.
Heat your pan with about one tablespoon of coconut oil at
medium heat. When a drip of water sizzles it is ready for frying.
Use your hands form walnut sized balls with the mixture and
place them directly into the pan. When the pan gets to dry add some more frying
oil. Turn them when browned. When browned all around take them out and place
them onto a kitchen paper towel to let it absorb any excess oil.
We rarely fry in a way that the food swims
in the oil; there is always so much frying oil left in that process. For this
reason we add oil bit by bit as needed in the frying process. This applies
to falafel and falafel burgers.
The falafel recipe often fills pita bread pocket accompanied
by fresh salad leaves and shredded and or sliced vegetables like carrots,
cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, capsicum and whatever is available or takes the
eaters’ fancy and topped with a yoghurt sauce.
When you tried this falafel recipe please come back and let us know how you got on with the recipe.
Chickpeas are healthy very flexible to use or add to a wide selection of recipes.What is your best liked recipe using chickpeas?
Do you care to share?
Build your own page around your recipe with some photos to document the step or make it easier to imagine who it could look like.
What is Your Favourite Recipe?
Do you have a favourite recipe? Share it!