Spiced Chocolate Muffin Recipe
Everyone loves chocolate muffins. This spiced chocolate
muffin recipe stands out for its warming spices of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
They are particularly nice in the colder months of the year, but that’s a
matter of preference.
List of ingredients:
Yields: 12 chocolate muffins
- ½ cup of chocolate drops
- 2 heaped tablespoons of baking cacao powder
- ½ cup of unrefined sugar
- 2 cups of spelt flour, white
- 4 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 100g of butter, melted
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, ground
- ½ teaspoon of cloves, ground
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg, ground
- 12 pieces of baking chocolate to decorate (optional)
- 12 almonds skinned and halved to decorate (optional)
Get new recipes and insights with our monthly e-zine.
Step by step directions:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C°. Convert!
- Prepare a muffin tray. Either line the muffin holes with
paper muffin cups or grease them with butter and dust them with some flour. If
using the second method make sure that the form is greased and floured thoroughly
especially around the edges and on the bottom. This will make it easier to
retrieve the muffins when they are done.
- Melt the one hundred grams of butter in a small pot on the
- In the mean time take a mixing bowl and measure all of the dry
muffin ingredients in. Start with the half cup of chocolate bits for the
chocolaty surprise inside. Then add the two heaped tablespoons of baking
chocolate powder. Mix it with two cups of spelt flour and four flat teaspoons
of baking powder. Try to measure the baking powder exactly as an excess can lead
to muffins which taste like baking powder. And I am sure you want the taste
being chocolaty with a hint of spices.
- Break the two eggs. Check them one after another to see that
they are ok. It happens rarely that they are off when you have bought them
fresh. Then add them into the bowl with the melted butter and the cup of milk.
Use a spoon to mix all of the dry ingredients until they are just bound.
- To add the special edge stir under the teaspoon of cinnamon,
the half teaspoon each of ground cloves, ground nutmeg and vanilla extract.
- Distribute the batter into the muffin cups. It’s about one
and a half spoons full of filling per cup. Bake the chocolate muffins for 20
minutes at 200C°. When a toothpick comes out clean they are done.
My family loves chocolate. For this reason we place a piece
of chocolate on each muffin just when they are done. Wait a minute or so and then
use a teaspoon to spread the melting chocolate on top of each muffin. This
method saves the time it takes to melt chocolate in a water bath but it only works
when it is done when the muffins have just come out of the oven. If the muffins
are intended for a special occasion we decorate them, for example with some
We look forward to hearing how you liked the chocolate
muffin recipe, therefore remember to return and leave your comment.
Cupcakes and Muffins:
Skip to more ...
Muffin and Cupcake Recipes
Chocolate Muffin Recipe