Carrot Curry Recipe
Versatile carrots always encourage me to experiment. This
carrot curry recipe is the result of preparing a staple in our kitchen and
creating something out of the ordinary. The curry was a success, well balanced
between sweet and hot. The ginger, turmeric and coconut enhanced the natural
sweetness of the carrots and the chilli added a hint of mild hotness.
It goes well on its own with basmati rice or naan bread but also
complements chickpea burgers just as well.
Ingredient list to cook a curry with carrots:
Serving suggestion: Basmati rice, falafel patty
- 800g of carrots shredded
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (or other)
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 3 green chillies split lengthwise, de-seeded and finely
- 3 heaped tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely diced or crushed
- 5 cm piece of fresh turmeric root
- 3cm piece of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt, or more
- 1 can of coconut cream
Get new recipes and insights with our monthly e-zine.
by step method:
- Wash and scrape or peel the carrots.
- Wash the curry leaves, spin dry them and plug them off their
- Wash the three red chillies split them lengthwise, de- seed
them and slice them thinly.
- The two onions are peeled and then diced. The three cloves
of garlic are prepared in the same way as the onions. Meanwhile the fresh
ginger root and turmeric root are scraped or peeled and grated or diced
depending on what you prefer.
- In a large pan or a pot heat the coconut oil then stir in
the mustard seeds. Stir in intervals until the seeds have popped.
- Add the curry leaves and the green chillies and fry them for
a moment before adding the ginger root and the turmeric root followed by
desiccated coconut, cumin and Himalayan salt. Stir frequently. Lastly add the
onions and the garlic.
- After 3-5 minutes
when the onions are translucent, mix under the shredded carrots. Let them cook
for five minutes on low to medium heat before adding the can of coconut cream.
Simmer until all is heated through.
Basmati rice with a
chickpea burger was our choice to complement this dish. It has more a mild and sweetish
hot taste with the combination of chilli and coconut, while the ginger and
turmeric just go well with it. What do you think about this combination?
Please return and let us know how you liked the carrot curry recipe.
New curry recipes:
Skip to more ...